Since its inception in 2013, Chamber Music Abu Dhabi has presented up-and-coming chamber ensembles of the highest caliber. They had promising professional trajectories when they performed in Abu Dhabi, and now they tout shining careers, in ensembles or as individuals. Here’s is a peek at where they are today!
2018: Attacca Quartet
- Violist Nathan Schram, prizewinner in the 2007 Primrose International Viola Competition, was a familiar face in the Attacca, having been in the Bryant Park Quartet when they played in Abu Dhabi in 2013. He was an enthusiastic advocate for the Attacca to visit Abu Dhabi after his wonderful experience here. Since his first visit, Nathan founded an organization called Musicambia that brings music education to incarcerated persons and has inspired many similar organizations around the globe.
- The quartet is managed by Polyarts and has a full performance schedule.
2017: Akropolis Quintet
- Akropolis still consists of its founding members, dating from 2009.
- They have commissioned over 50 new works and released an album in 2017 called “The Space
betweenUs” which the San Francisco Chronicle hailed as “pure gold.”
- They are represented by Ariel Artists and maintain a busy performing and teaching schedule.
2016: Aizuri Quartet
- It ’s hard to believe that it has been 3 years since the Aizuri Quartet was in Abu Dhabi. Zoe Martin-Doike, formerly violinist with the Aizuri Quartet, took second prize in the 2018 Primrose International Viola Competition and currently plays viola in the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra.
- Their new violist Ayane Kozasa won the Primrose International Viola Competition in 2011 and has served as principal violist of the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia.
- Violinist Miho Saegusa is an artistic director of the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra and its co-concertmaster while actively touring with the Aizuri Quartet.
- Ariana Kim is the new 2nd violinist, a professor at Cornell and member of The Knights, a Brooklyn-based orchestral collective. She replaced Zoe Martin-Doike, who now plays viola and won second place in the 2018 Primrose International Viola Competition.
- Their debut album entitled “Blueprinting” was nominated for a 2019 Grammy.
- They have won prizes at the 2018 M-Prize Chamber Arts
Competition,and the 2017 Osaka International Chamber Music Competition.
2015: Verona Quartet
- Verona Quartet (formerly Wasmuth String Quartet) had changed its name just as we brought them to Abu Dhabi. They went on to residencies at the Juilliard School and the New England Conservatory. They won the Concert Artists Guild competition in 2015, have won top prizes in several other competitions, and were finalists for the 2018 Pulitzer Prize in Music. They have been faculty at the Indiana University Summer String Academy since 2016. That same year they were named “New Artists of the Month” in Musical America.
- The Verona Quartet has a new cellist, Jonathan Dormand, who has a performing career in his own right and has a passion for contemporary music.
- Former cellist Warren Hagerty is teaching and performing in the Los Angeles area.
2014: Aeolus Quartet
- The Aeolus Quartet was founded in 2008 and is still going strong, under the management of Dispeker Artists. They went on to a residency at Juilliard following their appearance in Abu Dhabi.
- Their new violist is Caitlin Lynch, a Juilliard graduate with years of experience in chamber music and teaching. She founded and is Artistic Director of Project Chamber Music in Oregon’s Willamette Valley in addition to her performances with the Aeolus Quartet.
- Violinist Nicholas Tavani continues performing with orchestras and in recitals in addition to Aeolus Quartet performances. He is currently pursuing a Ph.D. at the University of Maryland.
- Rachel Shapiro performs with a variety of music ensembles including the Aeolus and is an avid writer.
- Cellist Alan Richardson performs regularly with Decoda and the Mark Morris Dance Group in addition to teaching at George Washington University and performing with the Aeolus Quartet.
2013: Bryant Park Quartet – the very first group to perform with Chamber Music Abu Dhabi!
- Bryant Park Quartet (BPQ) disbanded in June of 2015 after ten years, but each member is still active professionally.
- Violinist Anna Elashvili performs regularly with Decoda and teaches in New York City.
- Violinist Ben Russell performs with two ensembles, Founders and American Contemporary Music Ensemble.
- Violist Nathan Schram is now with the Attacca Quartet who played in Abu Dhabi in the 2018 season.
- Cellist Tomoko Fujita is a member of the New York Chamber Music Co-Op and performs recitals regularly in addition to her teaching.